Almond poppyseed loaf cake is an easy cake to make that the whole family is going to enjoy.
This is a quick bread recipes, which will provide you with moist bread that has a sweet glaze. You can even switch it up by adding lemon juice or orange juice to the glaze.
In this article, we will be discussing how you can make the best almond poppyseed loaf cake.
Almond Poppyseed Loaf Cake Recipe
This is a simple pound cake recipe that you bake in a loaf pan. It is similar to a quick bread recipe, but it is also a cake as well.
You could also use this recipe and make them into almond poppy seed muffins instead if you didn’t have a loaf pan.
Full of plenty of flavor from the almond extract, and the poppy seeds, make this loaf cake look incredible.
It is up to you whether you mix this cake by hand or use a stand mixer. Sometimes this mixture can be quite thick, it is easier with a hand mixer.
Ingredients For The Cake
- 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour,
- 1/2 cup of melted unsalted butter,
- 1 cup of granulated sugar,
- 1 tsp of baking powder,
- 1/4 tsp of salt,
- 3 eggs,
- 1/2 cup of milk,
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract,
- 1/2 tsp of almond extract,
- 2 tbsp of poppy seeds.
- 1 cup of powdered sugar,
- 2 to 4 tbsp of heavy cream or milk,
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract,
- 1/2 tsp of almond extract.
- Step 1: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Step 2: Grease a 9×5 loaf pan with cooking spray and flour or baking parchment. Set this aside for later.
- Step 3: In a medium bowl, whisk together your dry ingredients. This should consist of your salt, baking powder, and flour.
- Step 4: Then, in a large bowl, whisk your butter and sugar together. Add in your eggs, one at a time, until they are fully incorporated. As you add in each egg, this is the time to add some of your flour mixture and milk as well.
- Step 5: Once all the eggs and flour have been added, you can stir in your poppy seeds and extracts.
- Step 6: Pour your cake batter into your prepared loaf pan, and put it in your preheated oven. You should bake your cake for around 40 to 50 minutes. Or until when a toothpick inserted comes out clean and is golden brown.
- Step 7: Once the cake is cooked, remove it from the oven and allow the cake to cool completely in the loaf pan.
- Step 8: While your cake is cooling, gather all of your glaze ingredients. Whisk together the extracts, milk, and powdered sugar together to form a smooth glaze.
- Step 9: Once the cake is cooled, remove it from the pan and place it on a cooling rack. Now you can pour your glaze all over the cake. The wire rack will allow any excess glaze to easily fall away.
- Step 10: Slice and serve!
Tips And Variations To Try
An important tip to remember, as this cake is cooked for such a long time, is that if you notice the top of the cake is over-browning, then you can place foil on top of the cake.
The foil will prevent over-browning and the cake from getting darker, but the cake will still continue to cook.
Alongside that, it is really important that you remember to grease your loaf pans. This can be with baking parchment or greasing the pans with butter or oil and adding flour to line the pan.
Some recipes may call for butter extract, which isn’t very common in all stores. Although, normal butter will work just as well when a recipe calls for butter extract.
The recipe we have spoken about above, is already delicious. However, there are some other variations you may want to consider trying.
This can be adding dried berries like blueberries or cranberries. In addition to that, you can add a bit of chocolate to the mixture, either white or dark chocolate chips.
The glaze can also be flavored in any way that you like.
Why not try an orange glaze using orange juice, or lemon glaze using lemon juice. In addition, you can add the zest of either fruit as well for an extra zingy glaze.
To present your almond poppy seed bread to guests, you can add sliced almonds on top of your glaze. Or try this recipe, but pour the batter into mini loaf pans to create individual servings.
Storing Your Almond Poppyseed Loaf Cake
It is quite easy to store this almond poppy seed bread. This quick bread can be kept at room temperature for between 1 and 2 days.
The bread can last for around a week when stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
If you want to freeze the brad, then we suggest you freeze it without the glaze on it. Then, when you thaw the bread, that’s when you can apply your glaze of choice.
When it comes to freezing your almond poppy seed bread, we recommend freezing it in slices.
Then wrap each slip in plastic wrap and in foil. Then you can freeze the bread for around 3 months.
Almond poppy seed bread has a delicious almond flavor, which the whole family will enjoy.
This loaf cake is simple to make and will impress your friends and family. Now you can enjoy this warm bread alongside a dollop of sour cream.
We hope you have found this article useful and are now eager to make an almond poppy seed bread yourself at home.