The best and easy mocha frosting is a homemade buttercream frosting that is a delectable combination of chocolate and coffee in one frosting that is creamy and simple to prepare.
Mocha is a favorite flavor among many people, especially those who love coffee and cakes. A delicious combination of chocolate and coffee, with neither flavor dominating the other, it is the perfect addition to your cupcakes.
While there are many recipes for mocha frosting recipes out there, we believe that this one is truly the best, and also the simplest to make.
It is the best possible mix of chocolate, coffee, and buttercream frosting, ideal for any dessert.
This delicious mocha frosting would go well with a wide variety of desserts. Put your creative skills to the test today by whipping up some of this mouthwatering homemade mocha buttercream frosting.
Find out how to make this frosting below!
The Best Mocha Buttercream Frosting Recipe
The ingredients in this recipe are so simple that you probably already have most, if not all, of these items in your cupboards or pantry!
- Coca Powder (1/8 Cup) – While you can use unsweetened if you want to, sweetened cocoa powder, like Dutch Press, gives the frosting even more flavor
- Instant Coffee/Espresso (1-2 tsp or to your taste) – This is what gives the frosting that classic mocha flavor
- Unsalted Butter Softened (1 Cup) – Sofy butter makes it a lot easier to mix this ingredient into the mixture
- Milk/Whipping Cream (Optional and to your taste) – Added to get the right consistency
- Salt And Vanilla Extract (1/2 tsp each) – For added flavor
- Powdered Sugar (4Cups) – A must-needed ingredient for a bit of extra sweetness
- Hot Water – To make the espresso/coffee
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to make this mocha buttermilk frosting.
- Mix the instant coffee/espresso with hot water in a container with a limited capacity, such as a mixing bowl.
- Depending on how much coffee you add will impact how strong the flavor is. If this is your first time making this frosting, we recommend that you use 1-2 teaspoons of this ingredient.
- If the flavor is not strong enough for you, then next time you can add a bit more.
- Let the coffee mixture completely cool before going on to the next step.
- You have to cream the butter so that it is smooth. While this can be done by hand, it is much easier to do it in a mixer.
- Once the butter is smooth, you can add powdered sugar and cocoa powder to it. Using a sieve, add the powdered sugar and cocoa powder into the mixture. By using a sieve, you prevent any clumps from building up in the mixture, which can ruin the texture.
- After adding the vanilla essence and the salt, thoroughly combine the ingredients. At this time, the mixture will have the texture of crumbs all across it.
- Finally, add the cooled coffee mixture and stir until you get a fully smooth consistency. If you want to pipe the frosting, you may thin it down with a little milk or cream, but you should only do so if you need to.
And just like that, you should some delicious mocha buttermilk frosting to use on your cakes! We hope you like it!
Here are some things to try to make sure that you get this recipe right every time.
- In any recipe that asks for unsalted butter, you may use salted butter instead if it is more convenient for you. if you do that for this recipe, then you do not need to add any extra salt that the recipe originally calls for.
- Be careful to use butter that has been at room temperature for a while before using it so that it can be creamed easily. Before beginning to make the frosting, let it sit out at room temperature for twenty to thirty minutes, so that it may have time to warm up and become softer and easier to use and mix.
- You should first sift the cocoa powder or powdered sugar that you are using since each of these ingredients might include lumps that will ruin the texture of the frosting.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have any questions about mocha buttermilk frosting then you can find the answers here!
Am I Able To Freeze The Icing?
Yes, this mixture freezes well! If you put it in a container or bag and store it in the freezer, it will stay good for up to three months. Allow it to defrost at room temperature before using it.
What Is The Best Way To Store Frosting?
If you are going to be using this mixture quickly, then you can keep it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To keep it for longer, put it in an airtight container in the freezer, where it will keep for 3 months.
What Is The Best Cocoa To Use?
For the best flavor and lowest amount of acidity, this frosting is best made with cocoa powder that has been processed using the Dutch method.
Having said that, you may replace the sweetened cocoa powder with the same quantity of unsweetened cocoa powder, but the result will have a slightly different flavor.
What Can I Do If My Frosting Is Too Sweet?
You can add between one-fourth or one-half of a teaspoon of salt to your mocha frosting if you find that it is overly sweet.
This will balance out the flavors. You should begin with a smaller amount, give it a taste, and then add more if it’s necessary.
Can I Pipe This Frosting?
Yes, it works well for piping onto baked goods like cupcakes, brownies, and cakes.
Mocha buttermilk frosting is a delicious addition to any sort of dessert, including cupcakes, cakes, and brownies. Give the above recipe a try next time you are craving something sweet!