Tiramisu is a classic Italian dessert. It’s made with layers of cream and coffee-soaked ladyfinger cookies. Plus, it’s coated with a dusting of cocoa powder. What’s not to love?!
Well, this tiramisu cake roll recipe transforms this iconic dessert into a convenient cake roll. This creamy dessert not only tastes delectable, but it also looks fantastic.
So if this dessert sounds delicious to you, this simple recipe will help you to make a stunning tiramisu cake roll!
What Is A Tiramisu Cake Roll?
Do you love tiramisu? Essentially, this recipe is a unique take on the traditional tiramisu cake. Instead of being served in the traditional format, this tiramisu is a cake roll.
This raises the question of what a cake roll is. Basically, a cake roll is a cake that has been rolled and filled with a cream filling. In this instance, the cake roll is packed with a mascarpone cream filling.
This dessert is perfect for people who love sweet flavors. It works well at dinner parties and other events, as guests are bound to adore this sweet treat!
Tiramisu Cake Roll Recipe
There are lots of different components of this tiramisu cake roll, so we’ve broken the ingredients list into different sections.
Ingredients For The Cake
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1/2 a cup of cake flour
- 1/2 a cup of sugar
- 1/4 a teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 a teaspoon of cream of tartar
- 4 tablespoons of butter at room temperature
- Powdered sugar for rolling
Ingredients For The Cream Filling
- 8 ounces of light mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 a cup of heavy cream
- 1/4 a cup of sugar
- 1/2 a teaspoon of vanilla extract
Ingredients For The Coffee Syrup
- 1/2 a cup of espresso
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- A touch of liqueur (you can use whatever liqueur you fancy!)
Ingredients For The Topping
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Whipped cream (optional)
To make this tiramisu cake roll recipe, all you will need to do is:
- Preheat oven so that it is set to 350°F.
- Cover a baking sheet or jelly roll pan with parchment paper.
- Place the eggs in a large bowl. Gradually add the sugar to the eggs. Mix these ingredients with an electric mixer at medium speed. During the process, the sugar dissolves into the eggs. You can finish beating the ingredients once the mixture is pale yellow and thick.
- Gradually fold the cake flour into the mixture. Once fully combined, add the butter, vanilla extract, salt, and cream of tartar. Mix until the ingredients are completely combined.
- Pour the mixture into the previously prepared pan. Make sure to spread the batter evenly.
- Cook the cake batter for approximately 10 minutes. When you take the cake out of the oven, it should feel firm. Plus, it will have browned slightly on top.
- Whilst the cake is cooking, prepare a clean surface in your kitchen.
- When you take the cake out of the oven, cover it in powdered sugar. Carefully remove the cake from the pan whilst it’s still hot. You must use an oven glove to protect your hands.
- Flip cake roll onto the prepared surface. Using a kitchen towel, roll the cake from the short end.
- Leave the cake to cool completely. This cake takes a few hours. To protect the cake, you should cover it with plastic wrap.
- Whilst the cake is cooling, you can make the coffee syrup. To do this, combine the sugar with the espresso in a saucepan. On low heat, gently simmer these ingredients and stir them occasionally. Turn off the heat and add the liqueur. Leave it to cool entirely.
- You can also make the filling as you wait for the cake roll to reduce in temperature. To do this, beat the mascarpone cheese and powdered sugar in a medium bowl. Add the vanilla extract and heavy cream. Continue mixing the ingredients until it is thick cream and stiff peaks form.
- Once cooled to room temperature, unroll the cake. Try to avoid it cracking, though a few cracks are somewhat inevitable.
- To make this an espresso-flavored sponge cake, brush the cake with the cooled coffee liqueur syrup. A basting brush is the best tool for the job. This will allow the cake roll to absorb the rich espresso flavor.
- Spread the tiramisu filling onto the cake roll using a spatula. Ensure that this filling is spread as evenly as possible.
- Roll the cake again to form the tiramisu cake roll. Place the cake in the fridge for at least 30 minutes so that it can be set.
- After this time has passed, remove the cake roll from the fridge. Dust with cocoa powder. If wanted, decorate the cake with whipped cream or some fresh berries. Cut the tiramisu cake roll and enjoy this decadent dessert!
There are a few pieces of baking equipment that you will need to complete this recipe. This includes:
- Parchment paper
- A baking sheet or jelly roll pan
- A large bowl
- A stand mixer or electric whisk
- Oven mitts
- Kitchen towel
- Plastic wrap
- A saucepan
- A medium bowl
- Basting brush
Frequently Asked Questions
How Should You Store A Tiramisu Cake Roll?
The tiramisu recipe will need to be stored in the fridge. It should not be kept at room temperature, as the cake will not last for very long. In the fridge, the roll cake should keep for approximately 3 days.
Can A Tiramisu Cake Roll Be Frozen?
Yes, these cake rolls can be frozen. In the freezer, the tiramisu cake roll can last up to 3 months. Ideally, you should consume frozen cake rolls within a month of freezing. Cover the roll cake in plastic wrap before freezing it.
If you are looking for a tasty Italian-inspired dessert, this tiramisu cake roll recipe is sure to be a hit. In fact, it’s one of our favorite desserts!
It’s a unique take on the classic tiramisu made with a vanilla sponge cake roll, a creamy mascarpone filling, and a delightful dusting of cocoa powder.