A dog isn’t just a pet – they’re a part of the family! Man’s best friend deserves a birthday treat as much as us human’s do! Having a dog birthday party is becoming more popular, and what does every birthday party need?
A birthday cake, of course! Here, you’ll find a great recipe for a carrot and peanut butter cake that’s dog friendly and will keep their tail wagging all birthday long!
The Fur Baby Benefits
Before you start baking, you should familiarize yourself with the health benefits that come with this dog birthday cake recipe. It is made with healthy fats and dog friendly ingredients that are good for your four-legged friend.
The carrot cake is low in fat and sugar free, and the fluffy whipped potato and yogurt frosting is completely dog friendly, rather than high fat, high dairy cream cheese frosting. Here is closer look at some of the nutritional value this dog cake recipe has:
- Eggs- a great source of protein for your pup, eggs are perfectly safe for dogs, and are full of fats and vitamins that support your dog.
- Peanut butter – while peanut butter should be unsalted and fed to your dog is moderation, it is a great dog treat and an excellent source of protein, healthy fats, and both vitamins C and E.
- Honey – honey has antimicrobial and antifungal properties that is great for a sensitive tummy and can reduce allergies, but shouldn’t be fed to your dog raw.
- Carrot – dogs love carrots and they are definitely dog friendly, being a nutritious addition to your dog treats that is packed full of vitamin A, potassium, and fiber.
- Yogurt – the probiotics in low-fat yogurt are great for your dog’s digestive system and keeps them feeling fuller for longer.
Dog Birthday Cake Ingredients
Now that you know how your homemade dog birthday cake can benefit your pup, you can start prepping! Here is a list of ingredients you need to create a special treat for your dog:
For Your Dog Cake
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of unsalted peanut butter, spread or pure.
- 1/4 cup of oil, either canola or vegetable.
- 2/3 cup of milk, or water if your dog is sensitive to dairy.
- 1/3 cup of honey, maple syrup, or apple sauce.
- 2 1/2 cups of shredded carrot.
- 2 cups of whole wheat flour.
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of baking soda.
For Your Whipped Potato And Yogurt Frosting
- 1.4 lbs of potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks.
- 1 cup of unsweetened yogurt.
How To Make A Dog Birthday Cake
With all your ingredients ready, it’s time to bake! Follow this step-by-step dog cake recipe and you’ll be saying happy birthday to your dog in no time.
For The Dog Cake
With your dog friendly ingredients on hand, preheat oven to 350F before you start prepping.
Next, you need two prepared pans. To do this, take your cake pans and grease and line both bases.
Once you have two pans ready and prepared, take a large bowl and whisk together your eggs, peanut butter, oil, honey, and milk. You should whisk until the mixture is nice and smooth, but some peanut butter lumps are fine.
Next, stir in shredded carrot into the mixture. Once the carrot is mixed into the dog cake mix, combine flour and baking soda, stirring until fully mixed. Be sure not to overmix your cake mix, otherwise your dog birthday cake will be hard, which your dog won’t appreciate.
Your dog birthday cake mix is now ready to go into the oven. Divide the batter between your two pans evenly, and smooth until the dog cake mix is level.
Bake in your preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the dog cake comes out clean.
Remove your dog birthday cake from the oven and let it cool completely on a wire rack. This is important so that the potato and yogurt frosting doesn’t melt off the cake when applied.
For The Whipped Potato And Yogurt Frosting
Begin by boiling, steaming, or microwaving the potatoes until they are very soft.
Once this is done, whip your potatoes and yogurt together with an electric mixer until the mixture is as fluffy and smooth as you can get it.
Your whipped potato and yogurt frosting won’t be perfectly smooth so just try and get it as smooth as you can. Do this for about a minute and a half on medium speed in a medium bowl.
Now that your cake and whipped potato and yogurt frosting is done, you can begin to assemble and decorate as you please!
Spread a quarter of the frosting on the top of the bottom layer dog cake, then place the top layer on top. Once you’ve done this, spread the remaining frosting on the top and sides of the cake, leaving some for piped decorations if you wish.
Dog Cake Recipe Notes
Here are a few notes to consider before completing your dog cake recipe.
For this dog cake recipe, you will need two cake pans that are around 8 inches, or one cake pan that is 12 inches and cut your dog cake in half to form two layers. You can also use a square pan if you wish.
The serving size you should give your dog depends on a number of factors. Think about the health, size, activeness and digestive sensitivity of your dog when considering how much cake your dog should have on his or her birthday. Remember that it is a special treat for your dog, and like human treats, it shouldn’t replace a meal!
There you have it! A great recipe for a dog cake that all dogs love. There’s no better way to celebrate a dog birthday than with a homemade dog birthday cake. Follow these steps for a recipe that will spoil your dog rotten on their special day.