Funnel cakes have become a staple of American cuisine, with the delicious treat often being found at amusement parks, festivals, and carnivals.
Originating in Holland and Germany, the donut-like snack was first brought to America in the 18th century, where it immediately became a hit because of its golden brown cake batter and sweet taste.
However, the dessert’s association with the county fair doesn’t mean it can’t be made at home, as there are countless recipes for homemade funnel cakes available online.
In fact, it is even possible to make funnel cake with pancake mix, as a quick and easy alternative to traditional ingredients.
In the article below, we will teach you how to make funnel cake with pancake mix while also outlining everything you will need to get started.
What Is Funnel Cake?
Funnel cake is a classic dessert cuisine that is often found at the county fair and amusement parks, where it is commonly served with whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, and caramel sauce.
If you have never tried this indulgent delight, the closest comparison we can make is to donuts or churros, as funnel cake is also made from a golden brown batter that is deep-fried in cooking oil to achieve its signature crispy texture.
However, this does not mean that funnel cake is easy to make, as the overall process can be complicated and the recipe itself requires countless ingredients.
But what if we told you that you can make your own homemade funnel cakes using supplies found in your kitchen cupboard?
To learn more about this process, continue reading…
Can You Make Funnel Cake With Pancake Mix?
The short and simple answer is yes. In fact, we would recommend it, as it makes the overall process much easier and accessible.
Instead of making your own batter, you can use the pancake mix to create a simple funnel cake batter, which can then be deep-fried and served with a variety of different toppings.
While we would recommend a simple dusting of powdered sugar, you can also smother your homemade funnel cake with vanilla ice cream, chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, and fresh fruit. There’s also nothing wrong with a decent helping of fresh whipped cream.
So if you want to learn how to make funnel cake batter with pancake mix, then you have come to the right place.
In the section below, we have outlined the cooking process and the various ins and outs you need to consider.
How To Make Funnel Cake With Pancake Mix
When it comes to homemade funnel cake, the overall process is very simple. All you need to do is combine the pancake mix with eggs, oil, sugar, vanilla, salt, and milk.
The batter will then need to be poured into the hot cooking oil until it’s crispy and golden brown. So if you’re concerned about frying the dough, this method makes the cooking process safer and manageable.
However, there are certain precautions that need to be taken. For instance, when frying the batter, you need to make sure that there are no children or pets in the kitchen, as this could result in severe burns and damage.
If you’re new to frying foods, there are countless tips and tricks available online, which can be used to ensure that the dough is fried in a safe and controlled way.
Of course, funnel cake is best served warm, which means it will need to be plated immediately after the batter has been fried.
In traditional circles, most choose to sprinkle their funnel cakes with powdered sugar. However, you can also decorate the finished product with ice cream, fresh fruit, and various sweet sauces.
To learn more about the cooking process, you can follow the simple recipe down below, which is the best funnel cake recipe we have ever encountered. Kids love funnel cake and with this recipe, you will be able to whip up some fun treats in no time at all.
Funnel Cake With Pancake Mix Recipe
Before you can start making your homemade funnel cakes, you will need to gather the necessary tools and ingredients. Fortunately, this recipe does not require any professional equipment and the supplies can be purchased from the local store.
- Squeeze bottle
- Piping bag
- Food thermometer (optional)
- Large eggs (x2)
- Milk (1 1/2 cups)
- Vanilla extract (1 teaspoon)
- Salt (1/2 teaspoon)
- Granulated sugar (1/4 cup)
- Pancake mix (2 1/2 cups)
- Oil for frying
When it comes to cooking oil, you can use whichever kind you want. However, we would recommend canola, peanut, or vegetable oil, as these have a neutral flavor and will not leave behind a noticeable aftertaste.
- Take a large bowl and combine the eggs, sugar, milk, and vanilla extract. Mix together until the ingredients are well combined.
- Once you have done this, add the pancake mix and salt to the mixture. Mix together until the ingredients have been incorporated. However, you must also make sure not to over-mix the batter.
- Take a large pan or dutch oven and fill it up with 1 – 2 cups of vegetable oil. Place on 375 degrees F to heat oil for frying. If you do not own a thermometer, you will know then the oil is hot when you add a small amount of batter and it immediately begins to sizzle and cook.
- Add around 1/4 of the pancake batter to a funnel, piping bag, or squeeze bottle, while making sure to cover the opening with your finger. Hold the squeeze bottle several inches above the hot oil and remove your finger to allow the batter to swirl into the pan. For the best results, we would recommend overlapping the mixture to achieve unique patterns and shapes.
- Fry the batter in the oil until it has turned golden brown on the bottom. After 1 -2 minutes, gently turn the funnel cake over until it has cooked on the other side. Once cooked, carefully remove the cake from the oil and place it on a paper towel-lined plate. Serve warm with a dusting of powdered sugar and various sweet toppings.
If you still have some left, the remaining batter can be sealed inside a zip-top bag and placed in the refrigerator or freezer for future use.
Pancake mix funnel cake is a quick and easy way to make this favorite treat, as it does not require complex ingredients or previous experience.
Just make sure to follow safety guidelines in the kitchen and you will have golden funnel cakes in minutes. You can even use the finished cakes to make other delicious recipes.