Do you adore the pungent and spicy taste of garlic? Roasting garlic is a great way of giving it a sweet and nutty flavor.
This roasted garlic lentil dip is ideal for garlic lovers. It’s essentially a lentil hummus, meaning that it’s perfect for dipping. So if you want a quick and casual snack, we strongly advise making this delicious roasted garlic lentil dip!
Roasted Garlic Lentil Dip Recipe
One of the reasons why we love this recipe is that it only requires a handful of ingredients, all of which can likely be found in your local store. All you will need is:
- 1 cup of red lentils
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 3 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 a teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 a teaspoon of pepper
- 1 tablespoon of parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of tahini
- 1/2 a cup of water
If you adore this recipe and want to make it in larger quantities, simply double or triple the ingredients!
Even if you aren’t a very good cook, you should be able to follow this super simple recipe. Our silky smooth roasted garlic lentil dip can be made by:
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Peel garlic to remove the cloves. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Drizzle the garlic with olive oil.
- Roast the garlic for approximately 30 minutes in the oven. By this time, there should be a strong garlic aroma in your kitchen. In addition, the garlic should feel tender.
- Leave the garlic cloves to cool for a little while before removing the skins.
- Chop the lentils into small sections. Then, boil them in a medium saucepan. Bring the red lentils to the boil and cook on high heat. This should take between 10 and 20 minutes. Cooked lentils have a tender texture. Drain the lentils and leave them to cool.
- Add the red lentils, roasted garlic, parsley, lemon juice, pepper, salt, and tahini in a food processor. Blend these ingredients until smooth puree forms. If the mixture has a thick consistency, add a little water to give it a smoother texture. Alternatively, small quantities of olive oil can be added for increased moisture.
- Remove the roasted garlic lentil dip from the processor and serve in a bowl. Enjoy the complex flavors of this delicious dip.
To make this recipe, you will need:
- Oven-safe aluminum foil
- A baking sheet
- A sharp knife and chopping board
- A food processor or blender
- A serving bowl
As delicious as this recipe is, you might want to try some variations so that you can customize it to suit your taste palate. We recommend trying these variations:
- Consider substituting lemon juice with lime juice. Though we think that lemon pairs better with this recipe, some people may prefer lime juice. Lime tends to have a more bitter flavor than lemons, which are usually sweeter.
- To give the dip a spicy twist, consider adding paprika or chili powder to this recipe. A teaspoon of either of these ingredients should be sufficient to detect the flavor.
- You can adjust the seasoning to impact the flavor of the dish. For instance, you should consider adding cumin. A sprinkle of chives works particularly well as a garnish for this dip. Blended chickpeas can also be an effective addition.
- If you want a salty flavor, simply include additional salt. Just bear in mind that this will impact how healthy this dish is.
- If you enjoy sharp tastes, consider adding more pepper to the dip.
How Should You Store The Roasted Garlic Lentil Dip?
Once you have made your dip, you should refrigerate it. This is because the cold temperature of the fridge will slow down the expiration process. Plus, the dip will be kept fresh for as long as possible. Usually, this lentil dip is served at a chilled temperature.
When kept in an airtight container, your dip can last up to 7 days.
What Can You Serve With This Dip?
One of the reasons why we love making dips is that they pair well with a range of different foods. Therefore, when serving your dip on a platter, we recommend serving it alongside:
- Pita chips
- Veggies, such as carrots, radishes, or cucumbers
Essentially, this is a hummus recipe. Therefore, our roasted garlic dip can be served with many of the same foods that are paired with hummus.
Why Should You Make A Lentil Dip?
There are loads of reasons why you should make this dish. For starters, it has minimal prep time. Therefore, you won’t be forced to spend loads of time in your kitchen. Plus, the cook time is limited, since you will merely have to roast the garlic and cook the lentils.
This recipe also tastes irresistible. It is perhaps the best snack in our home. We’ve become quite famous among our friends and family for supplying this roasted garlic lentil dip whenever we have guests.
Plus, this recipe is vegan. So if you are obeying a vegan diet or have vegan guests, they can still enjoy this flavorsome dip.
Thanks to the ingredients, our roasted garlic dip is quite healthy. It not only tastes delicious but it’s packed with goodness. It’s especially healthy when served with veggies.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Garlic High In?
Garlic is a great ingredient because it is high in allicin. This active compound can be massively beneficial to your health, as it helps to protect your body against infections and reduces blood pressure. Therefore, having healthy doses of garlic in your diet can be beneficial.
What Do Lentils Taste Like?
Lentils tend to taste quite earthy and nutty. This flavor is also present in lentil hummus.
If you have become fed up with eating the same dips whenever you have company, this roasted garlic lentil dip is the perfect way of adding some variety. It works particularly well as a snack for dinner parties or as part of a mezze platter!